Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Window nets...why not?

In my travels, I have encountered a couple of divisions that do not require drivers side window nets. I am not sure I understand why that would ever be considered acceptable. Why would a driver think driving a car without a window net is a good practice?

Let's review the basics...the drivers side window net performs 2 critical functions...it keeps things inside the car inside (heads, arms, etc)...and keeps things outside the car outside (debris from the track surface, parts from other cars, etc). I do not ever recall first person experience where a net was a negative...nor do I recall any anecdotes about nets being a problem. I do remember Richard Petty's crash and violent flip at Darlington in 1970 where his arm and head were outside the window opening (I was very young! ) I recall a story about a stock car driver who was upside down when a large piece of debris came through an unnetted window leading to his demise...not sure if it is true or not, and can see how it could happen.

Does your track or series require window nets? Have you seen issues with nets that were problematic?

Have a great race, whenever your next one is!

Keith

No comments: